Saturday, February 6, 2010
-3 cups white rice, cooked and cooled to room temp
-1 1/2 cups cooked bacon (or ham cut up)
-3/4 cup finely diced fresh tomatoes
-1/4 cup sliced green onions
-1/4 cup finely diced green pepper
-1 tablespoon basil
-salt and pepper to taste
-1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
-4 eggs, beaten
-1/2 cup milk
-3/4 cup cheddar cheese divided
-3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In large bowl, combine rice, bacon, tomatoes, onions, green pepper, basil, salt and pepper, cayenne, eggs, and milk and stir well until incorporated. Pour into a greased 9x13 inch pan. Top with cheeses and bake for 20-25 minutes or until knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
Cut strata into squares and serve.
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
This recipe comes from The Pioneer Woman Cooks
-2 garlic cloves, chopped
-1 tsp. ground oregano
-1 tblsp. ground c umin
-1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
-2 tblsp. chili powder
-2 lbs. ground beef
-one 8 oz. can tomato sauce
-1 tsp. salt
-1/4 cup masa (corn flour, found in the Mexican food section of many supermarkets)
-1 can pinto beans, drained
-1 can kidney beans, drained
-1 can diced tomatoes
-1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
1. Begin by measuring the spices: chopped garlic, oregano, cumin, cayenne, and chili powder.
2. Place the ground beef in a large pot and throw in the garlic
3. Cook the beef until brown.
4. Drain the fat.
5. Pour in the tomato sauce
6. Followed by the spices and the salt
7. Stir together well, cover, and reduce the heat to low. COver the pot and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. If the mixture becomes overly dry, add in 1/2 cup water at a time as needed.
8. After an hour, place the masa in a small bowl. Add 1/2 cup water and stir together with a fork.
9. Dump the masa mixture into the chili.
10. Stir together well. Taste, adjust the seasonings, and add more masa paste and/or water to get the chili to your preferred consistency, or to add more corn flavor. Add the beans, jalepeno, and tomatoes if desired. Simmer for 10 minutes.
11. Served with shredded cheddar, chopped onion, and Fritos.